"The monument was designed in 1967 by Gustaw Zemła - a sculptor, and Wojciech Zabłocki - an architect. It is considered one of the best-designed Polish monuments and is presented at a very well exposed location. It is also the largest and heaviest monument in Poland. It is a harmonious combination of architecture and sculpture with appropriate symbolism: the wings symbolize the three Silesian Uprisings (1919-1920-1921) while the names of places that were battlefields are etched on the vertical slopes. The monument, which was funded by the people of Warsaw for Upper Silesia, is considered Katowice's landmark." (From Wikipedia).