Urged by Filippo Neri, by 1540 lay members of his order gathered at the church of San Girolamo della Carita. Neri soon had Pope Paul III recognize the group it as the Confraternita della Santissima Trinita de' Pellegrini e de' Convalescenti (Fraternity of the Holy Trinity of Pilgrims and Convalescent. For the Jubilee of 1550, the group took on the burden of hosting pilgrims, with particular regard for those who came from distant lands. After Holy Year, the association cared for the convalescent poor, discharged from city hospitals. In 1558, Pope Paul IV assigned them the perpetual use of the church of San Benedetto in Arenula, which was in very bad condition. The next year, the fraternity bought a house near the church to be used as a hospital-hospice. For the Jubilee of 1575, the fraternity hosted more than 180,000 pilgrims. The fraternity ultimately tore down the decrepit church, and decided to build a new. The first stone was laid on February 26, 1587, and consecration took place on June 12, 1616 and titled Santissima Trinita e San Benedetto. In subsequent centuries the parish and adjacent buildings continued to serve as a hospice for pilgrims, or as a hospital. (Text from Wikipedia).