Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
A walk through the ruins of a 14th-century Strečno Castle in Northern Slovakia. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
A walk through the ruins of a 14th-century Strečno Castle in Northern Slovakia.

"The town of Strečno is about 10 kilometres southeast of Žilina on a train that comes frequently and takes you past the new Kia factory. From the train station, it's about a 10-minute walk across the river to the foot of the Strečno castle, set on a spectacular limestone cliff that plunges into the Váh river. It was built in the 14th century to collect tolls and serve as a watchtower, expanded over the next 200 years, and destroyed by Emperor Leopold in the late 1600s. After an extensive reconstruction, the castle was reopened in 1995. It's easy to spot the inauthentic touches (like the plate glass windows), but it doesn't distract from the castle's picturesque setting." (An excerpt from the Spectacular Slovakia 2007 travel guide).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.8 MBViews: 5084 (#1165)
The ballroom of the Czocha Castle. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The ballroom of the Czocha Castle.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.8 MBViews: 7114 (#461)
An autumn evening on the courtyard if the famous Neuschwanstein Castle near Füssen, Germany. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
An autumn evening on the courtyard if the famous Neuschwanstein Castle near Füssen, Germany.

"Neuschwanstein Castle (German: Schloss Neuschwanstein, English: "New Swanstone Castle") is a nineteenth-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as a homage to Richard Wagner. Ludwig paid for the palace out of his personal fortune and by means of extensive borrowing, rather than Bavarian public funds. The palace was intended as a personal refuge for the reclusive king, but it was opened to the paying public immediately after his death in 1886. Since then more than 61 million people have visited Neuschwanstein Castle. More than 1.3 million people visit annually, with as many as 6,000 per day in the summer. The palace has appeared prominently in several movies and was the inspiration for Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle and later, similar structures." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.3 MBViews: 2144 (#2412)
Moon over the Alps - view from the Neuschwanstein Castle
The renovated Radziwiłł Castle in Nesvizh, Belarus. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The renovated Radziwiłł Castle in Nesvizh, Belarus.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.9 MBViews: 2318 (#2360)
The Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh CastleThe Nesvizh Castle
The Mirsky Castle Complex (Belarusian: Mірскі замак), a UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus, located in the town of Mir in the Karelichy District. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The Mirsky Castle Complex (Belarusian: Mірскі замак), a UNESCO World Heritage site in Belarus, located in the town of Mir in the Karelichy District.

The construction of the castle began at the end of the 15th century, in the Gothic architecture style. Building of the castle was completed by Duke Ilinich in the early 16th century near village Mir (formerly of Minsk guberniya). Around 1568 the Mir Castle passed into the hands of Mikołaj Krzysztof "the Orphan" Radziwiłł, who finished building the castle in the Renaissance style. A three-storey palace was built along the eastern and northern walls of the castle. Plastered facades were decorated with limestone portals, plates, balconies and porches.

After being abandoned for nearly a century and suffering severe damage during the Napoleonic period, the castle was restored at the end of the 19th century. In 1813, after the death of Dominik Hieronim Radziwiłł, the castle passed into the hands of his daughter Stefania, who married Ludwig zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. The castle later fell into the hands of their daughter Maria, who married Prince Chlodwig Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst.

Their son, Maurice Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst sold the castle to Nikolai Sviatopolk-Mirski, of the Bialynia clan, in 1895. Nikolaj's son Michail began to rebuild the castle according to the plans of architect Teodor Bursze. The Sviatopolk-Mirski family owned the castle up to 1939.

During World War II, it came under the dominion of the Nazi occupying force and served as a ghetto for the local Jewish population prior to their liquidation. Between 1944 and 1956, the castle was used as a housing facility, which partially damaged the castle's interior. (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.8 MBViews: 1912 (#2526)
In front of the Mir CastleThe Mir Castle Tower
Page
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017