|Inside the church of Santi Apostoli in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
The Chiesa dei Santi Apostoli di Cristo, commonly called Santi Apostoli, is one of the oldest churches in the city although it has undergone numerous changes since its foundation. The present building is the result of a major reconstruction project which was undertaken in 1575.
In the 7th century Venice was not yet a city, but a collection of small communities scattered throughout the lagoon. Saint Magnus, the Bishop of Oderzo, came to the lagoon and founded eight churches. According to a legend recounted by the historian Flaminio Cornaro, St. Magnus had a vision of the Twelve Apostles who commanded him to build a church on a site where he saw twelve cranes. The church presently stands on the Campo dei Santi Apostoli at the beginning of the Strada Nuova (New Road).
The church retains its 16th century layout: a single nave supported by two rows of columns. The ceiling fresco is Communion of the Apostles and the Triumph of the Eucharist by Fabio Canal. (Text based on Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Mar 12, 2012
• File size: 3.9 MB
: 2942 (#2102
Inside the Gothic church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo in the Castello district of Venice.
Wikipedia: The Basilica di San Giovanni e Paolo, known in the Venetian dialect as San Zanipolo, is one of the largest churches in the city. It has the status of a minor basilica. After the 15th century the funeral services of all of Venice's doges were held here, and twenty-five doges are buried in the church.
A huge brick edifice built in the Italian Gothic style, it is the principal Dominican church of Venice, and as such was built for preaching to large congregations. It is dedicated to John and Paul, not the Biblical Apostles of the same names, but two obscure martyrs of the Early Christian church in Rome, whose names were recorded in the 3rd century but whose legend is of a later date.
In 1246, Doge Jacopo Tiepolo donated some swampland to the Dominicans after dreaming of a flock of white doves flying over it. The first church was demolished in 1333, when the current church was begun. It was not completed until 1430.
The vast interior contains many funerary monuments and paintings, as well as the Madonna della Pace, a miraculous Byzantine statue situated in its own chapel in the south aisle, and a foot of St Catherine of Siena, the church's chief relic.
• Added to the gallery on Mar 14, 2012
• File size: 4.4 MB
: 3368 (#1946
On the bridge leading to the Campo de l'Abazia in the Cannaregio district of Venice.
The square has still got its original brick paving. To the left is the building of Scuola Vecchia di Santa Maria della Misericordia, to the right the church of Santa Maria Valverde.
• Added to the gallery on Mar 24, 2012
• File size: 3.4 MB
: 2629 (#2236
The final part of Calle Varisco is just 53 centimetres wide and is the narrowest street in whole Venice! #
• Added to the gallery on Feb 19, 2012
• File size: 4.8 MB
: 3614 (#1877
Campo de Gheto Novo - the main square of the "original" Ghetto, the Jewish district of Venice, Italy.
The Venetian Ghetto was the area of Venice in which Jews were compelled to live under the Venetian Republic. The English term "ghetto" is an Italian loanword, which actually comes from the Venetian word "gheto", slag, and was used in this sense in a reference to a foundry where slag was stored located on the same island as the area of Jewish confinement. An alternative etymology is from Italian borghetto
, diminutive of borgo
The Ghetto is an area of the Cannaregio sestiere of Venice, divided into the Ghetto Nuovo ("New Ghetto"), and the adjacent Ghetto Vecchio ("Old Ghetto"). These names of the ghetto sections are misleading, as they refer to an older and newer site at the time of their use by the foundries: in terms of Jewish residence, the Ghetto Nuovo is actually older than the Ghetto Vecchio. (Text based on Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Mar 31, 2012
• File size: 3.6 MB
: 2835 (#2143