Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Niederkirchnerstrasse in Berlin. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Niederkirchnerstrasse in Berlin.

Niederkirchnerstrasse, formerly Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse, runs east-west from Wilhelmstrasse to Stresemannstrasse near Potsdamer Platz, forming the border between the districts of Mitte and Kreuzberg. It is best known for having been the location of the headquarters of the Gestapo and the SS in Nazi Germany. The site is now marked by the Topography of Terror museum.

Niederkirchnerstrasse is also the site of two other Berlin landmarks, the Martin-Gropius-Bau exhibition hall, built in 1881 by Martin Gropius and Heino Schmieden as a Museum of Decorative Arts, and the Abgeordnetenhaus von Berlin, from 1899 until 1933 seat of the Preussischer Landtag, the second chamber of the Prussian parliament. On January 1, 1919 the Communist Party of Germany was founded in this building. Since April 29, 1993 it houses the parliament of the Berlin city state.

The street was laid out in 1891 and named for Prince Albrecht of Prussia, son of King Friedrich Wilhelm III, who had owned a large house called Prinz-Albrecht-Palais on the corner of this street and Wilhelmstrasse. In 1905 an extension building of the Museum of Decorative Arts was erected adjacent to the Martin-Gropius-Bau on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse 8. From May 1933 this building served as the headquarters of the Gestapo created by the order of Hermann Göring, where many political prisoners were tortured and executed. It formed the nucleus of the complex of buildings including the neighbouring Hotel Prinz Albrecht on Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse 9 and the Prinz-Albrecht-Palais itself, which was taken over by the Sicherheitsdienst of Heinrich Himmler in 1934 and developed into a centre of the Reich Security Head Office under Reinhard Heydrich for the whole of Germany and occupied Europe. The buildings were destroyed by Allied bombing in early 1945 and demolished after the war.

After World War II, in 1951, the authorities of East Berlin renamed Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse Niederkirchnerstrasse in honour of Käthe Niederkirchner (1909-1944), a member of the communist resistance to the Nazis. The Berlin Wall ran along the southern side of the street from 1961 to 1989, one of the few preserved sections is located at the eastern end. (Description based on the Wikipedia text).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.1 MBViews: 5047 (#1185)
The Berlin Hi-Flyer balloon over Berlin
Inside the Roman Catholic Church of St. Hedwig on the Bebelplatz in Berlin. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Roman Catholic Church of St. Hedwig on the Bebelplatz in Berlin.

The church was built in the 18th century by Frederick the Great, King of Prussia. The King's friend, Ignacy Krasicki, Bishop of Warmia (later Archbishop of Gniezno), officiated at the cathedral's opening in 1773. The cathedral was named after the patron saint of Silesia and Brandenburg, Saint Hedwig of Andechs, and commemorated the arrival of Roman Catholic Silesian immigrants in Brandenburg and Berlin.

After the Kristallnacht pogroms that took place over the night of 9-10 November 1938, Bernhard Lichtenberg, a canon of the cathedral chapter of St. Hedwig since 1931, prayed publicly for Jews in the evening prayer following. Lichtenberg was later jailed by the Nazis and died on the way to the concentration camp at Dachau. In 1965 Lichtenberg's remains were transferred to the crypt at St. Hedwig's.

The cathedral burned out completely in 1943 during air raids on Berlin and was reconstructed from 1952 up to 1963. (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.7 MBViews: 6267 (#652)
Klosterstrasse street in Berlin. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Klosterstrasse street in Berlin.

On the north end of the street, near Grunerstrasse, you can see the ruins of one of the oldest buildings in Berlin. It's the old Franciscan church, built in mid-13th century.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.3 MBViews: 4886 (#1269)
Klosterstrasse underground station in Berlin. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Klosterstrasse underground station in Berlin.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.3 MBViews: 4634 (#1407)
Potsdamer Platz underground station in Berlin. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Potsdamer Platz underground station in Berlin.

The Berlin U-Bahn is a rapid transit railway that is a major part of the public transport system of the German capital. Opened in 1902, the U-Bahn serves 170 stations spread across nine lines, with a total track length of 151.7 kilometres, about 80% of which is underground. Trains run every four to five minutes during peak hours, every five minutes for the rest of the day and every ten minutes in the evening and on Sunday. They travel 132 million km, carrying 400 million passengers, over the year. (Based on a Wikipedia article).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.5 MBViews: 4775 (#1333)
Page
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Locate all panoramas
Random image
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017