Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Inside the late-Baroque church of St. Hedwig in Legnickie Pole. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the late-Baroque church of St. Hedwig in Legnickie Pole.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.9 MBViews: 7785 (#360)
St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of St. Peter in the main altarSt. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of Saint John of Nepomuk (Karl Joseph Hiernle 1728-1730)St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of Saint Joseph with the Child (Karl Joseph Hiernle 1728-1730)St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of Saint John the Evangelist (Karl Joseph Hiernle 1728-1730)St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of Saint Günther (Karl Joseph Hiernle 1728-1730)St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole: statue of Saint Stephen (Karl Joseph Hiernle 1728-1730)St. Hedwig's church in Legnickie Pole
MP3
Inside the 17th-century wooden Church of Peace in Jawor. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the 17th-century wooden Church of Peace in Jawor.

Wikipedia: "The Churches of Peace (Polish: Kościół Pokoju, German: Friedenskirche) in Jawor (Jauer) and Świdnica (Schweidnitz) in Silesia (Poland) were named after the Peace of Westphalia of 1648 which permitted the Lutherans in the Roman Catholic parts of Silesia to build three Evangelical churches, to be built outside the city walls, without steeples and church bells and made of wood, loam and straw. The construction time was limited to one year. Since 2001, the two remaining large ones are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

Constrained by the physical and political conditions, three of the churches anyway became the biggest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe. With pioneering constructional and architectural solutions unknown ever before or since in wooden architecture, and surviving for over 300 years, they bear testimony to the quest for religious freedom and are a rare expression of Lutheran ideology in an idiom generally associated with the Roman Catholic Church in the Austrian Empire of the Habsburgs.

The church in Jawor, under the invocation of the Holy Ghost, sized 43,5 m long, 14 m wide and 15,7 m high, seating 5,500, was constructed by Breslau (Wrocław) architect Albrecht von Saebisch (1610-1688) and was finished in 1655 after a year. The 200 paintings inside by were done by Georg Flegel in 1671-1681. The Altar, by Martin Schneider, is of 1672, the original organ of J. Hoferichter from Legnica (Liegnitz) of 1664 was replaced 1855-1856 by Adolf Alexander Lummert.

By that time, the town was already for about 100 years part of the Lutheran Kingdom of Prussia. Another 100 years later, in 1945, as a result of losing World War II by Nazi Germany they became part of Poland, following Potsdam Agreement".

• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.0 MBViews: 10215 (#168)
Church of Peace in Jawor: statue of Saint John the Baptist in the main altar (17th century)Church of Peace in Jawor: statue of Moses in the main altar (17th century)Church of Peace in JaworChurch of Peace in JaworChurch of Peace in JaworChurch of Peace in Jawor: ceiling paintingsChurch of Peace in Jawor: epitaph of Christopher Beniamin Walther (1698-1769)
Gallery of Silesian Sacred Art in the former Bernardine church in Jawor. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Gallery of Silesian Sacred Art in the former Bernardine church in Jawor.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.2 MBViews: 4527 (#1476)
Regional Museum in Jawor: Madonna with Child (painted wood, early 18th century, Silesia)Regional Museum in Jawor: The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne (painted wood, 18th century, Silesia)Regional Museum in Jawor: Madonna (painted wood, early 16th century, Silesia)
Inside the 17th-century wooden Church of Peace in Świdnica. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the 17th-century wooden Church of Peace in Świdnica.

"The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica, the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe, were built in the former Silesia in the mid-17th century, amid the religious strife that followed the Peace of Westphalia. Constrained by the physical and political conditions, the Churches of Peace bear testimony to the quest for religious freedom and are a rare expression of Lutheran ideology in an idiom generally associated with the Catholic Church." (Description from the UNESCO World Heritage List site).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.6 MBViews: 7583 (#392)
The mid-17th century wooden Church of Peace in Świdnica, Silesia. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The mid-17th century wooden Church of Peace in Świdnica, Silesia.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.7 MBViews: 3190 (#2008)
Locate all panoramas
Random image
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017