Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Inside the Church of the Most Holy Trinity of Pilgrims (Chiesa della Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini) in the Regola rione of Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Church of the Most Holy Trinity of Pilgrims (Chiesa della Santissima Trinità dei Pellegrini) in the Regola rione of Rome.

Urged by Filippo Neri, by 1540 lay members of his order gathered at the church of San Girolamo della Carita. Neri soon had Pope Paul III recognize the group it as the Confraternita della Santissima Trinita de' Pellegrini e de' Convalescenti (Fraternity of the Holy Trinity of Pilgrims and Convalescent. For the Jubilee of 1550, the group took on the burden of hosting pilgrims, with particular regard for those who came from distant lands. After Holy Year, the association cared for the convalescent poor, discharged from city hospitals. In 1558, Pope Paul IV assigned them the perpetual use of the church of San Benedetto in Arenula, which was in very bad condition. The next year, the fraternity bought a house near the church to be used as a hospital-hospice. For the Jubilee of 1575, the fraternity hosted more than 180,000 pilgrims. The fraternity ultimately tore down the decrepit church, and decided to build a new. The first stone was laid on February 26, 1587, and consecration took place on June 12, 1616 and titled Santissima Trinita e San Benedetto. In subsequent centuries the parish and adjacent buildings continued to serve as a hospice for pilgrims, or as a hospital. (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.2 MBViews: 2956 (#2091)
Inside the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte (Saint Mary of the Prayer and Death) on Via Giulia in Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte (Saint Mary of the Prayer and Death) on Via Giulia in Rome, Italy.

First built in 1575, the church was completely rebuilt by Ferdinando Fuga in 1733 using an elliptical plan.

Inside may be seen frescoes of St. Anthony Abbot and St. Paul of Thebes by Giovanni Lanfranco; these were removed and transferred to this church from a now-lost structure built by Odoardo Farnese. [...]

Additionally, the church houses a chamber decorated with human bones; a large number of skulls, candelabras constructed of bones, and a large cross adorned with skulls are among the room's adornments. This chamber is located through a door to the left of the main altar and is rarely open to visitors.

Santa Maria was built by a confraternity that assumed responsibility for interring abandoned corpses in Rome. It is remarkable for the depictions of laureled skulls over the façade entrance and other death imagery. In this it has some of the morbid encrustations also seen in the Roman church of the Capuchins. Its charity was, and still is, supported by the Arciconfraternita di Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, a purgatorial society dating to the 1560s. Burials were performed in their cemetery, once sited on the banks of the Tiber adjacent to the church. Architect Fuga and San Carlo Borromeo were members of the fraternity.

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.7 MBViews: 3636 (#1871)
The church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome
In the crypt, decorated with bones, below the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte on Via Giulia in Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
In the crypt, decorated with bones, below the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte on Via Giulia in Rome.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.6 MBViews: 3292 (#1974)
The crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, ItalyThe crypt of the church of Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte, Rome, Italy
Inside the Baroque church of Santa Maria in Campitelli in the Sant'Angelo district of Rome, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Baroque church of Santa Maria in Campitelli in the Sant'Angelo district of Rome, Italy.

"Santa Maria in Campitelli or Santa Maria in Portico is a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary on the Piazza di Campitelli in Rione Sant'Angelo, Rome, Italy.
The church contains a 25 cm-high icon of the Virgin Mary dated by style and dendrochronology to the 11th century, though it had previously been claimed by tradition to have appeared miraculously in 524 at the table of Galla, a Roman woman who was helping the poor, and then carried in processions since 590. It was previously housed in the now-demolished Oratory of Santa Gala, sited at what is now the piazza's far end near the Porticus Octaviae (giving the church and icon its name of "Madonna of the Portico").
The icon was believed to have saved the city from plague in 1656 (or 1658), when it was carried in procession through the streets. On account of this, the earlier church on this site was replaced by Pope Alexander VII between 1659 and 1667 with the present one, designed by Carlo Rainaldi in the high Baroque style. The pope entrusted its operation to the Clerics Regular of the Mother of God. [...]
The interior shrine of Our Lady was created to contain the icon at the same date (to a design by the Maltese artist Melchiorre Caffà, or by Giovanni Antonio de Rossi), with a "gloria" (an architectural use of light for dramatic effect as used in Bernini's statue of St. Peter in the Basilica of St Peter of 1666). There is a staircase behind the 'gloria' allowing a better view of the icon, open by request only." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.3 MBViews: 2223 (#2389)
Madonna of the Portico: the icon of Virgin Mary in the church of Santa Maria in Campitelli in Rome
The Baroque interior of the church of Santa Barbara dei Librai in Rome. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The Baroque interior of the church of Santa Barbara dei Librai in Rome.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 5662 (#873)
The façade of Santa Barbara dei Librai (a detail from the crib inside)
Locate all panoramas
Random image
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017