Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
Campo San Geremia in the Cannaregio district of Venice. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Campo San Geremia in the Cannaregio district of Venice.

Wikipedia: "The nearby Palazzo Labia is known for the remarkable frescoed ballroom painted 1746–47 by Giovanni Battista Tiepolo, with decorative works in trompe l'oeil by Gerolamo Mengozzi-Colonna. [...]

The Labia family, who commissioned the palazzo, were originally Spanish and bought their way into nobility in 1646, hence considered arriviste by the old Venetian aristocracy. The wars with the Ottomans had depleted the coffers of the Republic of Venice which then sold inscriptions into nobility, thus giving political clout. It has been said that they compensated their lack of ancestors by a great display of wealth. Today the Palazzo Labia is the sole remaining example of this ostentation. [...]

The wealth and power of the Labia family declined with the fall of the Serene Republic in 1797. During the 19th century the Palazzo fell into decay. This coincided with a period where Tiepolo's work was unpopular and unappreciated. In 1945 a munitions boat exploded close to the palazzo, shattering its already precarious foundations, and causing fragments of the ballroom frescoes to fall to the ground.

In 1948 the palazzo acquired a new owner, Don Carlos de Beistegui (Charlie de Beistegui), French-born heir to a Franco-Mexican fortune, who began an intensive restoration. Beistegui was a skilled natural interior decorator, and for the derelict palazzo, he purchased furnishings acquired from the palazzo's less fortunate neighbours, including frescoes by Raphael, Annibale Carracci, and Guido Reni. These works of art, coupled with newly acquired tapestries and antiques, restored to the palazzo its former splendour. [...]

On 3 September 1951 Don Carlos held a a masquerade ball, Le Bal oriental, at the Palazzo Labia. It was one of the largest and most lavish social events of the 20th century. It launched the career of the Venetian fashion designer Pierre Cardin, who designed about 30 of the costumes worn by members of the "dolce vita" who attended. Christian Dior and Salvador Dalí designed each other's costumes. Cecil Beaton's photographs of the ball display an almost surreal society, reminiscent of the Venetian life immediately before the fall of the republic at the end of the 18th century. The party was to be one of the last truly spectacular events in the famous ballroom.".

• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.2 MBViews: 2789 (#2166)
Inside Saint Peter's Cathedral in Bologna, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside Saint Peter's Cathedral in Bologna, Italy.

Wikipedia: "Bologna Cathedral (Italian: Cattedrale Metropolitana di San Pietro, Cattedrale di Bologna), dedicated to Saint Peter, is the cathedral of Bologna in Italy, and the seat and the metropolitan cathedral of the Archbishop of Bologna. Most of the present building dates from the 17th century, with a few parts from the late 16th century. [...] The present interior is emphatically Baroque, giving an impression of majesty and grandeur. Among the works of art are an Annunciation by Ludovico Carracci (a fresco in the central lunette of the presbytery), a Romanesque Crucifixion in cedarwood, and a sculptured group in terracotta depicting the Compianto su Cristo morto ("Lament over the Dead Christ"), by Alfonso Lombardi, of the early 16th century. In the apse are early 20th century paintings by Cesare Mauro Trebbi (1847–1931) including Saint Anne in Glory".
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.7 MBViews: 3529 (#1902)
Inside the Basilica of San Petronio, the main church of Bologna, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the Basilica of San Petronio, the main church of Bologna, Italy.

Wikipedia: It is the sixth largest church in the world, stretching for 132 meters in length and 60 meters in width, while the vault reaches 45 meters inside and 51 meters in the facade. It can contain about 28,000 persons. The basilica is dedicated to the patron saint of the city, Saint Petronius, who was the bishop of Bologna in the fifth century.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 4.0 MBViews: 3200 (#2004)
The church of Saint Lawrence (San Lorenzo) in Manarola, Cinque Terre, Italy. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The church of Saint Lawrence (San Lorenzo) in Manarola, Cinque Terre, Italy.

The church was built in 1338; the date is indicated on a stone in the façade. The inside has three barrel vault aisles. In the main altar there is a 14th century triptych depicting Madonna with Child, Saint Lawrence and Saint Catherine, and in the left nave you can see a second triptych (coming from the church in Volastra) with Saint Lawrence, Saint Dominic and Saint John the Baptist.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.4 MBViews: 2984 (#2085)
Piazza San Michele in Lucca (Tuscany, Italy) with the white facade of the 11th-century church of San Michele in Foro. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Piazza San Michele in Lucca (Tuscany, Italy) with the white facade of the 11th-century church of San Michele in Foro.
• Added to the gallery on File size: 2.7 MBViews: 3639 (#1869)
Locate all panoramas
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017