|The 17th-century church of St. Walburga, a rare Baroque interior in the Gothic-dominated city of Bruges, Belgium.
"Built as a collegiate church for the Jesuit Brothers by Brother Huyssens. Erected in Baroque style in 1619 and completed in 1643. First church in the Low Countries and probably in the world, that is devoted to Saint Francis Xavier, a great missionary of India and Japan, where he stayed from 1549 to 1551. His letters illustrate the great esteem and appreciation he showed for the Japanese people." (Text from the leaflet found inside the church).
• Added to the gallery on Jun 18, 2012
• File size: 3.0 MB
: 3238 (#1993
The 12th-century chapel of Saint Basil on the lower level of the Basilica of the Holy Blood in Bruges, Belgium.
"The chapel of Saint Basil is one of the best preserved churches in Romanesque style of West Flanders. Built from 1134 to 1149, the chapel is dedicated to St. Basil the Great of whom a relic was brought back by Count Robert II from Caesarea Mazaca in Cappadocia, Asia Minor (modern-day Turkey). The chapel consists of two side naves and a central nave continued by the choir, which in turn is ended by a semi-circular apse. In the tympanum above the entrance linking the chapel and the annex is a 12th-century representation of the baptism of Saint Basil. In the right nave, the Seated Madonna and Child (Sedes Sapientiae) is a wooden polychrome sculpture of the early 14th century. Carried each year during the procession, two venerated wooden statues, made around 1900 and representing Jesus on the Cold Stone and the Pieta are displayed. At the left of the choir, the chapel of Saint Yves was added in 1504 and houses the relics of Saint Basil and of Blessed Charles the Good, Count of Flanders. The black marble retable is allegedly executed from designs by Lancelot Blondeel." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on Aug 22, 2014
• File size: 3.8 MB
: 1996 (#2487
Inside the famous Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum at 5th Avenue, New York City.
"The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, often referred to as The Guggenheim, is an art museum located at 1071 Fifth Avenue on the corner of East 89th Street in the Upper East Side neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It is the permanent home of a continuously expanding collection of Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, early Modern and contemporary art and also features special exhibitions throughout the year. The museum was established by the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation in 1939 as the Museum of Non-Objective Painting, under the guidance of its first director, the artist Hilla von Rebay. It adopted its current name after the death of its founder, Solomon R. Guggenheim, in 1952.
In 1959, the museum moved from rented space to its current building, a landmark work of 20th-century architecture. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, the cylindrical building, wider at the top than the bottom, was conceived as a "temple of the spirit". Its unique ramp gallery extends up from ground level in a long, continuous spiral along the outer edges of the building to end just under the ceiling skylight. The building underwent extensive expansion and renovations in 1992 (when an adjoining tower was built) and from 2005 to 2008.
The museum's collection has grown organically, over eight decades, and is founded upon several important private collections, beginning with Solomon R. Guggenheim's original collection. The collection is shared with the museum's sister museums in Bilbao, Spain, and elsewhere. In 2013, nearly 1.2 million people visited the museum, and it hosted the most popular exhibition in New York City." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on May 18, 2016
• File size: 1.7 MB
: 3639 (#1870