Not working? Install DevalVR, QT or Flash  polski English RSS feedFollow us on TwitterFollow me on Pinterest
Search in panoramas:
»
By the side of the Red Church on the Independence Square, the main square of Minsk, the capital of Belarus. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
By the side of the Red Church on the Independence Square, the main square of Minsk, the capital of Belarus.

The bronze statue in front of the church of St. Simon and St. Helen depicts Archangel Michael (the guardian angel of Belarus) slaying a dragon. On the far left you can find the Lenin's monument, and to the right a statue of Pope John Paul II. Go figure :-).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.6 MBViews: 2742 (#2193)
Inside the church of St. Simon and St. Helen on Independence Square in Minsk. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
Inside the church of St. Simon and St. Helen on Independence Square in Minsk.

"Church of Saints Simon and Helen (Belarusian: Касцёл святых Сымона і Алены) also known as the Red Church (Чырвоны касцёл) is a Roman Catholic church on Independence Square in Minsk, Belarus.

This neo-Romanesque church was designed by polish architects Tomasz Pajzderski and Władysław Marconi, and built during 1905-1910. The bricks for its walls were sourced from Częstochowa, whilst the roof tiles came from Włocławek. Its construction was financed by Edward Woyniłłowicz, a prominent Belarusian civic activist. The church was named and consecrated in memory of Woyniłłowicz's deceased children, Szymon and Helena.

In 1903, about 2,000 Minsk's Catholics wrote a petition to local authorities asking for a site to start building new catholic church. This request was satisfied, and construction started in 1905. The church was consecrated on September 20, 1910. On December 21, 1910, the church was opened. In 1923, the church was robbed by the Red Army and in 1932 it was closed down by the Soviet authorities and transferred to the State Polish Theatre of the BSSR. Before the Second World War, the church was rebuilt into a cinema. In 1941, the German occupation administration returned to building to its original use as a church, but after the war it was again used as a cinema, called the "Soviet Belarus." In 1990, the building was returned to the Catholic Church. Since then it was renovated, and became an important centre of religious, cultural and social life. It also became a centre for the revived Belarusian Greek Catholic Church." (Text from Wikipedia).

• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.2 MBViews: 2494 (#2291)
The crib in the Red Church in MinskThe crib in the Red Church in Minsk
The 1972 monument of the Belarusian poet Yakub Kolas on Yakub Kolas Square in Minsk. 
Click to view this panorama in new fullscreen window
The 1972 monument of the Belarusian poet Yakub Kolas on Yakub Kolas Square in Minsk.

"Yakub Kolas Square (Belarusian: Плошча Якуба Коласа) is a square in Pershamayski District of Minsk, is located on crossing of Independence Avenue, Yakub Kolas street and Vera Khoruzhaya street. The square was named in honour of the folk poet and one of the founders of the classic Belarusian literature - Yakub Kolas. The sculptures of Yakub Kolas and figures from his poems form the architectural centerpiece of the square. Lush greenery and fountains make this square an attractive landmark on a hot summer day for nearby workers, shoppers and city tourists. City underground station of the Moskovskaya line exits to the square, nearby tram stop, bus and trolley stop. Clay tiles in national style lay the vestibule of the station.
Several central streets join at the square including Yakub Kolas Street, Red street, Golden Hill, Very Choruzhey Street and Moulyavin Boulevard. Belarusian State University of Physical Culture faces the square from the east.
Minsk Production Amalgamation for Computers and Minsk Print Works face the square from the North. The towers of both buildings form a "gate" together with Very Choruzhey street similar in style to the Stalinist towers on Station Square facing Minsk Railway Station. Restaurant "At Crossroads" with its characteristic red face brick overlooks the square from the West. The National Philharmonic is located to the south of the square and surrounded with dwellings, department store "TSUM" and supermarket "Stolichny". The architects succeeded to make it a convenient City center for residents, workers, shoppers, tourists and art lovers." (Text from Wikipedia).
• Added to the gallery on File size: 3.2 MBViews: 1817 (#2564)
Page
1 2
Locate all panoramas
Random image
Contact
Interested?
Mail me at
panoramy@zbooy.pl
Last comment
Thursday, Nov 2, 2017: On the walls of Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal
Palácio da Pena
Czy to już jest koniec? :( (widz)
© Szymon "Zbooy" Madej
2005–2017