The great limestone quarry, located on the Krzemionki Hill at the foot of the Krakus Mound, began its operation in 1873. It was owned by Bernard Liban, a Jewish entrepreneur who also owned the cement works in Bonarka and soda factory in Borek Fałęcki. In 1942-1944 a Nazi work camp provided the work force; after the war the quarry was nationalized, and produced 250,000 tons of stone every year until the 1980s. In 1993 Steven Spielberg used this abandoned location to build a replica of the Płaszów concentration camp for the "Schindler's List" movie. Some remains, like barbed wire fences, can still be seen overgrown by bushes below.